Thursday, August 16, 2007

In Saigon

Hello gang! We arrived late last night in Saigon. We flew through a lightning storm which delayed us some. We got to our hotel just before 11:00 pm. The taxi ride to the hotel was a death defying stunt orchestrated by a madman of a taxi driver. Although the streets are far less packed than those of Bangkok, the number of small cyclos (aka motorcycles) is far greater. No one seems to exhibit any fear besides us foreigners :) We managed to sleep fairly well considering that we are on the complete opposite schedule and are grateful that we did arrive at night as it made going to bed seem the natural thing to do. We woke up feeling much refreshed and breakfasted together in the hotel lobby. Our breakfasts were good, especially the great Vietnamese crunchy bread. We just got back from walking to the Vietnam Airlines office and were disappointed to learn that the airline tickets to Pleiku (were Jess lived for a few years as a child and Gail and Irene's base for many years) were sold out. However, we are instead going to leave Saigon today and have "chartered" a van to drive us to Pleiku, for the low price of 3.5 million dong. (about $225 US). It will be an adventure I am sure! I have to run now as the van is here to pick us up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenn!!!!
Glad to hear everything is going good...i've been updating everyone for you.......

I also have some news for you! You know how I promised that you would be the first to know...well i would have liked to tell you on the phone but JON AND I ARE ENGAGED!! heehee for real! he gave me a ring tonight for my birthday present...isn't that fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy it's kind of scary lol my stomache and heart have kind of flip-flopped but it's awesome. I love you guys and hope everyone makes it home safe and sound